[fluxus] osX-plt {non}progress

nik gaffney nik at fo.am
Fri Jan 5 03:12:54 PST 2007

Dave Griffiths wrote:
>> well, ive got to the point that the plt_scheme branch compiles and links
>> ok on os x, but unfortunatly the binary does nothing when it runs. ecxept
>> possibly crash quietly to itself.. .
>
> you might have got further than you thought - that's probably a scheme
> error in the startup scripts, I managed to redirect errors into the void
> during startup in the last commit... I have the fix but haven't committed
> it yet.

some feedback, however spurious would definalty help. i also tried running
startup.scm in DrScheme, to check for errors there, but it seems to load.

would you be able to send/commit the example using a MrEd canvas some time?

>> since im not going to have much time to spend on fluxus in the near
>> future, i thought id at least mention that in getting this far (which,
>> admittedly, isnt so far..) i managed to leave scons with its head
>> underwater for too long, and dredged up an autotools skeleton ->
>> Makefile.in and configure.in attatched.
>>
>> instructions, if anyone is interested (and once dave stops gnashing his
>> teeth..)
>
> hmm :)
>
> is autoconf easier on osx?

not sure about 'easier' as they are both awkward in their own ways, yet i was
actually surprised at how little head scratching was required for getting the
autotools setup working.

> what were the scons problems?

for whatever reason, scons either wouldnt find libs, or would garble the gcc
flags in not so exciting ways.

i also thought it would be 'easier' to have a single way of dealing with all
the various aspects of the gradually extending fluxus (eg. binary, docs, os x
univeral binary, plt-modules, etc, etc+)