[Fluxus] [livecode] [Fwd: ms research: boku]

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Fri Dec 21 15:35:56 PST 2007

I'd really like to see consoles used for more creative purposes, so I
like this a lot. That is a _huge_ difference between kids in the
Commodore era and today, that invitation to hack - the blinking cursor,
I want live coding to be a similar invitation.

Starlogo is a similar effort (from Mitchel Resnick's group at MIT, the
original LOGO guys) with similar goals:
http://education.mit.edu/starlogo-tng/
A version of this is on the OLPC:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Turtle_Art
It also forked into the lego mindstorms language some years ago.

It's interesting to see Microsoft in this area.

I wonder what these people would make of live coding - I'm really
interested in this intersection of games, coding, performance and also
education - I agree, they share an immense amount.