[Fluxus] truetype fonts

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Thu Aug 16 01:51:32 PDT 2007

> "Dave Griffiths" <dave at pawfal.org> writes:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Despite the distractions of hardware shading, I've also been looking
>> into
>> sorting out fluxus font rendering wise - this is in the the scratchpad
>> editor mainly, although work here will eventually fall into improvements
>> of the text primitive in the renderer too.
>
> yeah!
>

>> So I've quickly hacked up an example here:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/7905273@N07/1119414985/
>> (the kerning is all out)
>>

> learning new things here, didnt knew about what was kerning about, cool
> stuff.

Typography is hardcore - I'm quite scared of it, but every now and again
you have to embrace it. I've had to write a Japanese font renderer in the
past, so I'm not scared by a couple of accents ;)

>> The up side is that it looks much much better (although anti-aliasing is
>> needed with smaller sizes). It also renders unicode, so we can use utf-8
>> text throughout fluxus.
>
> when will i be able to see my accents? (not pushing here, only curious)

Soon - I need to do some more experiments with ftgl to see if it's worth
reinventing the wheel. The stroke font might go actually, if I'm
converting fluxus to unicode throughout. It might be possible to either
find a faster way of rendering them (have prerendered textures for the
smallest font size) or a lightweight truetype font may also be an answer.

btw, the other downside to this is that it's possibly two more dependancies.