[Fluxus] truetype fonts

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Wed Aug 15 01:36:30 PDT 2007

Hi all,

Despite the distractions of hardware shading, I've also been looking into
sorting out fluxus font rendering wise - this is in the the scratchpad
editor mainly, although work here will eventually fall into improvements
of the text primitive in the renderer too.

So I've quickly hacked up an example here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7905273@N07/1119414985/
(the kerning is all out)

The up side is that it looks much much better (although anti-aliasing is
needed with smaller sizes). It also renders unicode, so we can use utf-8
text throughout fluxus.

The down side is that it takes around twice as long to render as the old
stroke font - around 10% of a 60fps frame time for a lot of text onscreen.
I'm currently using ftgl which I'm possibly going to replace in favour of
using freetype directly, but I doubt I'll be able to improve much on that.
I might keep the stroke font runtime switchable, for older machines.