[fluxus] funny png texture experience

Thomas Kappler thomas.kappler at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Tue Sep 19 08:19:17 PDT 2006

On Tuesday 19 September 2006 16:37, Juego wrote:

> Conclusion? : having a 128, 256 or 512px square png picture with 72.000
> pixel/in resolution works. The rest might not. ;-)

Looking at your PNGs with identify -verbose, some differences between the
Gimp one and the GThumb one seem interesting.

The Gimp ones have their resolution stored in PixelsPerCentimeter
(28.35x28.35).  That's why the value in inch is not exactly 72.00.  I
don't know if fluxus' image handling could be affected by this, but AFAIR
you can tell the Gimp wether to use Centimeters or inches.

Then, the Gimp seems to store a color histogram in the file while GThumb
doesn't.  Perhaps that confuses some PNG handling code.

Regards,
Thomas