[fluxus] funny png texture experience

Juego julien.deswaef at brutele.be
Tue Sep 19 07:37:42 PDT 2006

Dave Griffiths a écrit :
>> Hello.
>>
>> I've experienced some strange results with png textures.
>>
>> When I save a png file with The Gimp (default png parameters), fluxus
>> loads it but doesn't show it correctly.
>> If I save the file in Gimp with no png parameters (except compression),
>> fluxus crashes.
>>

> What does it look like with default parameters? Is it square? and also it
> expects an alpha channel (I think).

Yes, it's square. And the default png Gimp parameters are "resolution"
and "creation date"...

So here's what I tried:
I googled image for earth texture. Got a 400x400px gif file. (earth.gif)
With Gimp, I saved it as png. (see earth-gimp.png) (I hope the list
accepts attachments)
This file loads but doesn't show properly in Fluxus.

I then resized the picture in Gimp to a 256x256px png file.
It makes fluxus crash.
I just found out that Gimp (when resizing) gives the image a resolution
of 72.009 pixels/inch... which is I think why it crashes. I've tried to
set it to 72.000 pixels/in but Gimp doesn't want to save it like that.
And I don't know why. It stays in 72.009 even after saving and reloading.
(see earth-gimp2.png)

Then I use Gthumb and save this 256x256px png file to a png file. (see
earth-gthumb.png) And Fluxus loads it and shows it properly. When I open
this file in Gimp, it has the 72.000 pixels/in resolution. So this might
be it.

Conclusion? : having a 128, 256 or 512px square png picture with 72.000
pixel/in resolution works. The rest might not. ;-)

>> If I save the png file with Gthumb, Fluxus loads it without any problem.
>>
>> Strange? Any clue on why this might happend?
>>
>> And also for me, any jpg texture makes fluxus crash.
>>

> It's probably assuming that it's a png and trying to load it, I've never
> tried that. Need more error checking there :)

Is Fluxus supposed to load jpg or not?

Thanks.

Ju