[fluxus] audio troubles on OS X

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Fri Nov 24 08:45:48 PST 2006

> On Nov 24, 2006, at 3:44 PM, Dave Griffiths wrote:
>
>>> Hi there, I'm new to fluxus, trying to get it up and running for the
>>> first time on OS X 10.4.8
>>>
>>> I try to start the audio using (start-audio "" 256 44100) and get:
>>>
>>> unknown source port in attempted connection []
>>> JackClient::ConnectInput: cannot connect input port [] to [In0]
>>
>> this is benign, if you then do:
>>
>>> Fluxus then shows up in the JackPilot window, and I can connect audio
>>> sources to it
>>
>> it should work... doesn't sound like an OSX problem then
>>
>>> but I don't see anything change in the window (this is
>>> after running the cube audio demo code form the quickstart doc
>>> online).  I've tried various combinations of audio sources with no
>>> luck, and on a side not it appears that after the audio is started,
>>> changing the source string argument doesn't actually do anything.
>>> But I can't seem to find documentation on that?
>>
>> yes, I think once the audio system has started calling the function
>> has no
>> effect.
>>
>> so - the question is whether the audio is working at all... try
>> running
>> examples/02-bars.scm after calling start-audio.
>
> this works now - I just have to get the audio call right the first
> time, it seems.
> it would be great to be able to change audio sources after the
> program is loaded, though.

you should be able to change it externally, does that not work? really
start-audio is designed to be put inside the .fluxus.scm script in your
home directory which gets called automatically on startup, so it usually
only gets called once. I do need to look at that area though, it should
pick up the samplerate and buffer size from the jack server for instance.

> thanks for the help!
>
> one more thing, though - I can't cut/paste to/from fluxus, even
> though Edit->show clipboard shows me what's actually on the
> clipboard, correctly.  Any thoughts?

no clipboard support - crossplatform clipboard support is possibly the
hardest thing I've ever looked into doing! :) X11 alone is a nightmare.

whats happening with this is that I'm moving fluxus to plt scheme, which
will enable us to use the drscheme IDE for fluxus coding - this supports
all the things you want from a proper programming editor, syntax
highlighting, stepping debugger, graphical profiling - and clipboard
support :)

the current GL editor will still be there, but for smaller scripts and
livecoding.