[fluxus] scheme impl [was: 0.9b2]

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Mon Mar 6 03:07:52 PST 2006

> this, or mere printing the error line context or just filename /
> linenumber should be possible with guile, but are you still
> considering switching to something else?
>
> actually, if it has to remain scheme, the main missing feature from my
> pov is a compiler available at run time. plt family has such compiler
> (to bytecode, as well as a standalone compiler to native code via C),
> but i'm not sure if their license is GPL compatible. also i believe
> they have fast math (but guile 1.8 has it too i think).

I think ideally it would be nice to benchmark some other interpreters and
look into how much bytecode compiling will gain us, but I'm mainly
interested in locking away as much of the cpu intensive stuff behind the
binding - ie the pdata-op's - to make the interpreter speed irrelevant.

But the main thing is that I don't think I'll get the energy in the short
to medium term to rewrite the binding for another system - although I have
ideas of doing it in a better way for keeping the documentation with the
function calls, making online help possible + auto generating the
documentation.

But, yep - I'd like to keep it scheme. I'd support someone taking
libfluxus and forking another project binding it to another language (I
started this with pyfluxus) - but I wouldn't have the time to help much,
other than support the underlying renderer.