[fluxus] camera input in fluxus

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Wed Jun 14 03:59:21 PDT 2006

>     I have not quite made an effort to study if fluxus would be able to
> acquire streamed images from camera source for instance USB camera then
> take
> an effect on them.  I think the idea is pretty good and simple but your
> technical expertise would be most welcome as I am a newbie to fluxus.
> Otherwise I can try to play with open or X GL. The idea is to modify the
> effect of normal image ten transfer it depending on an artistic view inbto
> sth deviating from original image source. If you could point out some
> documentation would be awesome. Yours Sincerely Lukas Gargala

The only native input to fluxus for pixel data is via file textures in png
format.

It would be theoretically possible to use the PixelPrimitive (new in
v0.10) and somehow read the camera data from a Scheme script directly into
a texture, but this would be very slow at best.

I have no experience with streaming video, so what are the formats,
resolutions and framerates that you would expect to use?

The ideal for me is to wait for videojack, and write support in fluxus as
a writer and a reader for that, then we could stream video around
applications in the same way we do for audio at the moment, and I get to
stay clueless about video codecs :)