[fluxus] segfault when kicking a passive box

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Fri Jul 14 05:09:18 PDT 2006

Dave Griffiths wrote:
>>On 14/07/06, Dave Griffiths <dave at pawfal.org> wrote:
>>
>>>you want to use fixed joints (build-fixedjoint object) which will
>>>essentially lock the active object to the world - you can then connect
>>>this to other active objects with normal joints.
>>
>>i though fixed joint still had to be between two active objects
>>locking them together? and NB, ode documentation mention that using
>>fixed joints is usually a bad idea (whatever they mean).
>
> creating fixed joints between two objects is a bad idea, I think just
> because you should probably treat them as one object. fixed joints can
> also be used in this other way though, to fix active objects to the static
> world. fluxus only exposes this way of using them, they were the only way
> I could find to "pin" things in a static way.

Thanks for the tip, (build-fixedjoint obj) does exactly what I want it
to do, once I figured out that the vectors for specifying locations of
other joints don't respect the current transformations...

Attached is my Newton's Cradle thingy, unfortunately the bounce is less
than fulfilling... any ideas on how to make it less spongey?  I've tried
fiddling with (surface-params) but to no avail, it's either more spongey
or it goes completely crazy :/

Thanks for the Association List tip too, I think I'll find it very
useful indeed :)

Claude
--
http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org