[fluxus] feature request: pipeable ppm image output

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Tue Jul 11 22:45:16 PDT 2006

I've done basically the following with Pd+Gridflow, it works quite well,
so I think it would be good if it were possible with Fluxus too :-)

In Fluxus:

(start-framedump "myfifo.ppm" "ppm")

In a parallel shell:

cat myfifo.ppm |
ppmtoy4m -F 25:1 -S 420mpeg2 |
mpeg2enc -f 8 -a 2 -o video.m2v

Result:

a video encoded without a vast amount of temporary files and all the
problems that entails.

Drawbacks:

the usual fifo thing of blocking until the other end reads (which made
me think Pd+Gridflow had crashed, when I tried it there, but it was
merely waiting for the fifo to be opened for reading)

Other wishlist items:

lock window/frame size when piping ppm, as i'm pretty sure ppm's don't
like frame size changing mid-stream.

Claude
--
http://claudiusmaximus.goto10.org