[fluxus] Screen Recording?

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Wed Feb 15 05:37:10 PST 2006

>> I'd really recommend taking the time to learn Scheme, as it makes
>> you a
>> better programmer to learn different languages, especially one that
>> is so
>> different to the C based ones we mostly use these days.
>

> it's better to call them algol based, that allows to split the world
> in roughly 3 parts: lisp based, algol based and others ;-)
>
> another pro-lisp argument for fluxus could be that traditional lisp
> programming workflow IS livecoding. normally i have my source code
> open in emacs or drScheme, i edit it, send edited functions to the
> interpreter or compiler and try the bits of code in the repl window.
>
> the P(rint) in REPL is the only bit i miss when coding in fluxu. hmm,
> no actually not the only one, but everything i can do in emacs, like
> (with fluxus inspired keybindings in stead of "Ctrl+x Ctrl+e", "Ctrl
> +x b", "Ctrl+j" etc):

I think I'd like to state that the last thing I ever want to do is try to
write a replacement for emacs ;) The fluxus editor is for livecoding,
learning and playing around - remote control via osc gives you a way to
use a proper editor.

>   F6, while in the editor mode: evaluate current sexp, switch over to
> repl if there was error (and display the error, obviously). this way
> you could alter bits of the program while it is running, e.g. you
> could alter variables, change the global state, modify functions.
>
> Also, if what you did was modify the function that gets called during
> rendering, and you have a syntactic error or something, the old
> function won't disappear and the program will continue running, while
> you'll endup in the repl with an error message, hopefully explaining
> what's up.

I'm interested in this though, although I'm not sure I understand fully
(I'm still very much a beginner in lispy ways myself). It's all a matter
of guile, and what it allows, and practicalities, where/how to display it.

Talking of guile, I'm still interested in looking at using better
interpreters. Rewriting the binding would be a pain, but I'll do it in a
way that we can slot different interpreters in far more easily in the
future.