[fluxus] quaternions

Dave Griffiths dave at pawfal.org
Thu Apr 13 07:20:07 PDT 2006

> cool !
>
> quaternions are handy for skeleton animations (to represent rotations of
> bones)
>
> i'm figuring out cal3d for work now, which is a skeleton animation
> library. could be a nice addition to fluxus (with a way to generate
> skeletons and attach them to meshes programmatically). but even
> without extrernal library some simple version of skeleton animation is
> probably doable in scheme already!

It would be great to add this stuff. I'd like to do skinning as a pdata-op
deformer which would read skin weights in the form of float pdata on
geometry, imported or generated.

We could build skeletons from locators (yep, on the todo still) and
manipulate them in the scene graph. Add an IK solver... We'd still need a
skeleton format of some sort to give to the pdata-op deformer, but this
could just be a structured list of id numbers of the locators, the
pdata-op would get the matrices from the locators and blend them to deform
the points. The bindpose would have to be stored there too I guess.

Painting vertex data (for skinning or otherwise) in fluxus is getting more
feasable too.